Thanks for the reply, I have 3 apps called:  RAW and RAW_Reps and COW (
customer order website 8-) and define the same app variables in each one - I
know I should be using server scope but I designed it yeas ago when I was still
green.  Changing it over now scares me as there are literlly thousands of
queryies using those app variables ( big Intranet )

And yes, they are nested ( don't know if that is an issue ):

RAW -- RAW_Reps ( folder and children )
    |--COW ( folder and children )