As mentioned, I've attached my original post.  And it was Spike, not
Mark, who kicked in the source code comments.  I don't know whether
it's possible to reference a thread URL for this mailing list (or if
so, how to do it), so I've added the relevant posts inline...

My original question:

Has anyone found a way to successfully turn off "smart indenting" in
CFEclipse?  I have it unchecked in preferences, but that doesn't seem
to make any difference.  For that matter, I should clarify what I'm
doing since I'm not even entirely sure that that's the correct
setting.

For long tags with numerous attributes, I prefer to place each
attribute after the first on its own line:

<input type="text"
         id="mytext"
         name="mytext"
         value=""
/>

When I do so in CFEclipse, however, instead of automatically indenting
to the level of the line above the new line is indented one level
deeper.  For each line it's only one extra key press to back it up,
but that's a lot of "one extra key presses" on any given page of code.

Is this a bug or am I trying to use it incorrectly?

Thanks.

A snippet from one of Spike's responses:

-- SNIP --
To complicate matters further, the code that does the smart indenting
and auto indenting is mingled with the code that does the auto closing
of <, auto step-through of ",',# and >, and all manner of other things
that you might not notice happening.

The whole thing really needs to be refactored because at the minute it's
very hard to follow and almost impossible to modify without introducing
bugs.