This has been a problem for me as well.  I posted an early thread
about this and it seemed there was no concensus.  I believe Mark
chimed in that cursor positioning and tabbing was a mess in the source
and pretty well needed to be rewritten.

I format my tags like so:

<cfsetting showdebugoutput="false"
                requesttimeout="XX"
/>

And have all the same issues you're having.  I'll try to dig my
earlier post and add it to this thread...