That is not what we are saying! The fact here is that you say there is no
way to tell if an email fails - and we know there is - both at server level
and code.

What more do you need to tell that an email fails? it is all their for you.

ColdFusion is 10 years old and this is probably that most basic of tags.
Jochen provided a good way hosts deal with the undeliverable.

"This e-mail is from Reed Exhibitions (Oriel House, 26 The Quadrant,
Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1DL, United Kingdom), a division of Reed Business,
Registered in England, Number 678540.  It contains information which is
confidential and may also be privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note
that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the
information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have
received this communication in error please return it to the sender or call
our switchboard on +44 (0) 20 89107910.  The opinions expressed within this
communication are not necessarily those expressed by Reed Exhibitions."
Visit our website at http://www.reedexpo.com