Interviews can be quite tricky.  I generally find that employers really
don't know what questions to ask to find out if a candidate knows their
stuff.
Usually the questions are very open ended, such as what do you think of OOP
or Frameworks, rather than give me an example of OOP using CFML or tell me
what makes a framework.
This often stems from the fact there there is no-one else within the company
with the required skills to determine if the people they are interviewing
have the required skills.
Which makes the interviewee look bad because he isn't given the opportunity
to show how good he is.
Bit of a catch-22 that one.

One of the services I provide as a consultant, is that I will shortlist
candidates and do the testing and interviewing for them.
Generally I don't put too much stock in peoples CV's as lots of experience
may not mean their good, and lack of experience may not mean their bad, and
some people are just crap at writing CV's. Thus why I generally get everyone
to take the online test to determine their CF/SQL/HTML/CSS skills. The
interview is then to determine theie social skills, interaction,
personality, how they deal with stress, problem solving etc.

I will prepare an interview according to the role and job requirements,
creating real scenarios and seeing how the candidate deals with them. I.E.
provide them with a problem and ask them how they would deal with it.
Provide them with a coding problem  and ask them how they would approach it
and solve it.

--
Russ Michaels