Matt Quackenbush wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  I forgot to post his specific gripes about it.  Here
> is a quick summary:
>
> - non-standard sql

I think that depends on what you call 'standard sql'. To me, standard SQL is
what is defined in ISO/IEC 9075 and few do better then PostgreSQL in that
respect. But if you take 'standard sql' to mean 'the SQL in product X', you may
discover many differences.

> - difficult to backup / migrate

What is difficult about scheduling "pg_dumpall -f dumpfile"?

For migration he may have a point. PostgreSQL will not allow you to shut down
the database, pack up the data files, put them on another machine and start up
there. While this technically is possible in some circumstances, it is not a
documented procedure because it is guaranteed not to work when you move from
for instance Windows to an AIX mainframe. Other products that only run on
limited platforms and do not have to worry about memory alignment and the
endianness of the host operating system do not have this limitation.

> - user authenication is weak

PostgreSQL allows the DBA to use anything from no authentication to Kerberos
and you can even create single-signon with a Windows domain. User
authentication is as weak as the DBA configured it to be.

And if we extend this to security in general you might want to Google a bit.
PostgreSQL is highly regarded for its security track record and is often an
example to other databases. For instance, while many databases install
themselves under an account with elevated privileges by default even when that
is technically not necessary, PostgreSQL refuses to run if it has more
permissions then it needs.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/oracle/115560

> - difficult to manage

To manage PostgreSQL you need to do a few things that are clearly spelled out
in the manual:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/maintenance.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/backup.html
Again I would have to ask what is so hard about setting up a scheduled task.

In short: you may want to ask him if he is not confusing PostgreSQL with some
other database.

> mentioned that I was unaware of that is pretty much an instant turn-off for
> me: cAsE sEnSiTiViTy.

PostgreSQL identifiers are only case sensite if you make them case sensitive by
enclosing them between double quotes. The following code will run just fine:

CREATE TABLE fOo (BaR INTEGER);

SELECT bAr FROM foo;

Jochem