Good morning all. I have a client that has a CF based website (built by
myself around 5 years ago) and a SCO Unix Open Server backend. It's a legacy
system with software that's been heavily modified over the last 20-25 years.
Neither system communicates with the other.

The client is looking to streamline the order fulfillment process and to
"get with 21st century". They wish to add a live inventory and live credit
card processing feature to their website.

Though I have done this type of work in the past, I have never worked with a
legacy system to complete this. And, to complicate matters, the software
technicians that administer the SCO Unix Open Server DO NOT wish to use a
HTTP protocol to communicate between the two servers. They tell me that they
wish to communicate to my CF server via the FTP protocol.

A basic interaction would go something like this. A customer would attempt
to place an item in their shopping cart. Before the item is added to the
cart an "inventory check" is made. A CF process would write an XML file and
FTP it to the remote SCO Unix Open Server. The remote server would then
respond and push a response file back to the CF server. The CF server would
process the file and determine a Yes/No answer and either add the item to
the cart or display a message that the item is out of stock to the customer.

I was wondering, can this even be done with CF and the FTP protocol instead
of using HTTP? With HTTP, this would be relatively easy with the <cfhttp>
tag. With FTP, I am not sure how the communication would work. :(

In my mind, even if I used the CF Event Gateway to monitor a predefined
directory for FTP traffic... I cannot figure out how to parse the FTP file
and send the response back to "the right" shopping cart.

Does that make sense? Any help anyone could provide me would be much
appreciated.

Regards, Che