Eric Roberts wrote:
> What does that have to do with a site that is online? That's a pretty bad
> excuse, in my opinion, to just leave it wide open to the world...the
> information you give management should suffice.  If they don't trust what
> you have to say, what's the point in having you as an employee...they did
> hire you for your expertise.  That would be like setting up a wireless
> network and not using wep to start out with and just leaving it open because
> your WPA-PSK server isn't set up yet.

WPA-PSK doesn't use a server, WPA enterprise does.

> My main issue is that it creates ugly urls.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find it very convenient and not
ugly at all that I can deep link to Google and immediately show what the
search string is in the URL itself.

> You ever try and paste one of
> those in an email?  Most of them wrap the text and that doesn't get included
> in the link the email program produces.  An attractive site is part of the
> game we play here...urls included.

You are comparing apples and oranges. A URL that has a quey string
carries more information then a URL without the query string. In your
example, if people were to paste the URL from the form post that extra
information would be missing. People would be confronted with a page
that said "Form variable not found" and end up at the wrong place.

And if you have a problem with your e-mail client you should pick a
different one.

> Obscurity is small bit of security in that it does keep the honest folks
> honest.  Even people that know what they are doing would at least have to
> take some action to find the values.  Putting it all in the url is doing
> their job for them.  I wouldn't transfer bank accounts or credit cards with
> just this alone...I definitely wouldn't do it, even encrypted, in a url at
> any time.

I wouldn't either. Not for the security reasons you mention, but because
a GET signifies that there are no consequences if the request is
repeated X times (GET is idempotent).

Jochem