> It's a pet peeve of mine (I'm not really talking about what
> you said) but developer's really have to stop assuming that
> people are as sophisticated as they are.  More specifically
> (and less arrogantly) they have to stop assuming that people
> actually give a rat's ass about the stuff they do.  ;^)
> People want things to work, work fast and work correctly -
> they don't care if it's web-based or not, uses a database or not, etc.
>
> People may sit down to a web application and intellectually
> think "this is going to be slow" but it doesn't alter their
> innate transactional timetable.
> People may EXPECT a satellite feed to be delayed, they KNOW
> it will be delayed.  But they are still disconcerted and
> frustrated by the delay nonetheless.
>
> These numbers aren't what people are willing to put up with -
> they describe the results of waiting for response, generally.
>  Even if a person KNOWS that this web application will be
> slower they will still lose focus and attention.  It's just
> the way we're wired - regardless of how fast our technology
> happens to be.

On the other hand, to be successful, your application simply has to be no
slower than your competitors' while providing the same level of
functionality and reliability. As a result, the answer to the original
question - how many MS should it take to load a site's home page - is a
business question, not a technical question.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/