> > >There is a 'max pooled statements' setting on a datasource, you may
> > >find that changing that will change how the memory is held up.

Iirc the max pooled statements setting doesn't work quite the way one
might expect and actually it seems in many cases it may be preferable to
set it to zero. I believe I remember someone else on this list making
the comment that the statement pool is responsible for the occasional
problem of having changed a table, say for example adding a new column,
and having existing queries that don't even reference that column
suddenly fail. A restart of the server of course fixes the problem
because it throws away the statement pool. But I also remember it being
said in the thread that the statement pool while a form of caching does
very little for performance anyway.

> > >That being said, what does it matter?  RAM is pretty inexpensive these
> > >days, and if you get the added SQL security and performance, it's no
> > >big deal.

There's also a limit to the amount of RAM a particular instance of CF
can use. I don't remember the specific amount offhand, but there's a
point at which, if you tell the server "use up to x amount" and that
amount is over y limit, then the server just doesn't run. So if you were
consuming lots of memory I suppose it could get to a point where you
would actually be required to add more servers in your cluster, either
virtual or physical, which could have other associated costs asside from
the cost of RAM.

But this also reminds me ... CF didn't allow you to use cfqueryparam in
tandem with the native query caching features until this latest release,
so that might also be something to look at -- how many cached queries
does this application use? There might be some odd or unexpected
relationship between the combination of cached queries and cfqueryparam
that causes a greater amount of memory creep, in which case you might
want to look into tuning the cached queries or maybe removing some query
caching where you can get away with it.

Just throwing ideas off the top of my head, 'cause this is the first
they're occurring to me. I'd read the original post & nothing sprang to
mind for me at the time, but for some reason reading this one sort of
jogged my brain. And admittedly the memory is still a bit fuzzy. :)

--
s. isaac dealey  ^  new epoch
 isn't it time for a change?

http://onTap.riaforge.org/blog