> Are other technologies limited to 1GB or ram?

Doesn't Java suffer from this same "limitation"?  It is my understanding
that the memory limit is a Java thing, not a CF thing.  Please correct
me if I'm wrong.

> ...the fact that you can't have more then 1GB per instance...

But don't instances offer a way around that really?  You can put 8
instances sharing the same codebase with 1.5 Gigs of RAM apiece and
cluster them together.  Now you are using all your RAM.

Also, perhaps not that many people uses instances for this-- but I kind
of surprised that no one has really mentioned High Availability and
fail-over.  If you have a site with a load that requires more than one
instance and needs to have constant uptime but you don't want to pay for
a hardware load balancer, simply spread a handful of instances across
several physical machines, cluster them together, and let JRUN balance
your load for you.  It may not be a spotless solution, but it has merit.

~Brad