We had a similiar issue.  Let me preface by saying I have not read this entire
thread so if the info I give is redundant.. sorry.

Anyways, we had a similiar issue. Code that worked fine under CFMX 7 would
cause Jrun & cfmx 8 to suck down memory until it crashed.  We narrowed it down
to a piece of code that read in a large xml documented, parsed it, and then
displayed it on the screen.  Hit it once after the server would start and it
would take 200 megs, hit it quickly a couple times and it would jump to 800
meg(max jvm memsize was 1.2g), do it a couple more times and the instance would
crash.

I was able to catch the ear of an Adobe support engineer and we have solved my
problem.  First, I upgraded to the lastest JVM 1.6_06 also, scaled down the
memory quite a lot.

Here is my jvm.config:

java.home=d:/jdk1.6.0_06

java.args=-server -Xmx512m -Xms256m -XX:MaxPermSize=178m
-Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -DJINTEGRA_NATIVE_MODE -DJINTEGRA_PREFETCH_ENUMS
-XX:+UseParallelGC

This has totally solved my problem our servers have been running great ever
since. Plus 1.6 is much faster.

Hope this helps.

- Alex