Well, Did you check what is the thread doing when you say the Server is hung?
Can you take a thread dump and post that here? You can take the thread dump
using Server monitor or you can refer to my post
http://coldfused.blogspot.com/2005/11/thread-dumps.html

however, I see few potential problems in the code
- In the loop, when you fire 10th threads, you join with timeout of 2.5
seconds, and if by that time, all the threads are not finished, you kill them
all. So it might happen that threads would not have finished by that time

- If you see the docs and if you see my presentation, everywhere it is said
that you should use 'terminate' only when absolutely necessary. Don't overuse
it as it might lead the thread in some inconsistent state. You should code it
in such way that you don't need to terminate the threads most of the time

- I don't think you should duplicate the catch. get the message from catch and
set it to the thread. For test purpose you can remove catch and see what is the
error that you get.

Always remember that the thread does not write any output or error to the
response. It will be available in the thread scope.

Hope that helps.
Rupesh