Not really a solution, but a possible workaround:

We had a similar situation (dev, int, qa, dr and prod servers with slightly
different settings).  We ended up adding environment variables to the boxes
with the different information (paths, names, etc) and using the CFREGISTRY
tag to fetch the values.

The environment variables could be easily changed without a code deploy and
the code didn't need needless complications to determine which environment
it was running in.

Maybe too complex for this problem, but it worked a treat for us.

Jim Davis