I'm doing the request filtering in apache so that it never even
bothers my CF engine with the request, but I was wondering if Jochem
didn't like the filtering for a reason.

I wouldn't rely on it alone in any way, shape or form, but just
cutting down on the "spam" hits on the application seems like a worthy
deal.

Doing it at the network level would be even faster and less intensive
application-wise, but I'm wondering if there's a problem with the very
idea that I haven't thought of.

Accidentally removing legitimate traffic, or just trading one weakness
for another-- something like that.

We need to be preventing this stuff on every level, layered like an
onion, as someone said earlier.

I was not endorsing request filtering as a sole means of protection,
for the record.  :-)

Gracias for the info on what turning on global script protection actually is!

:Den

--
He had a wonderful talent for packing thought close, and rendering it portable.
Thomas B. Macaulay