On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Jochem van Dieten wrote:
> denstar wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Jochem van Dieten wrote:
>>> I haven't mentioned this before because I do believe that filtering
>>> request URLs is the wrong approach
>>
>> Care to elaborate on this?
>
> Filtering means "allow unless it matches". A security measure should be
> "deny unless it matches".

So long as it's simple list of matches, right?  If the list is too
complicated, you get the Godel's Theorem effect, neh?  :-)

Heh, I can see it now-- MG3 not only auto-generates your controllers
and XML and whatnot, but using the power of introspection, it adds
rewrite rules to your vhost conf file per event, with type-binding!

That actually sounds pretty cool.

See, I'm wondering if this is closer to searching than security,
per-se.  Sorta thinking (it's getting late, so bear with me :) of a
lame example: I could parse a paragraph looking for every word that's
good, and tossing out the swear-words-- or just look for swear-words.
Which is going to be faster?  Which list is longer?

Maybe that analogy is broken.  Probably.  Hmm... Yup, cause you'd have
to throw in that they could make up new curses as well, without you
even knowing.  Hmm... Well, I'm sure you get the point I'm trying to
make by now (which could be a non-point), but I'll elaborate further,
because I'm not sure if it is a point :-)p

I'd want the lowest-level, most used to be the fastest checks, and the
highest level, least used to be the slowest, most thorough.  In an
ideal world, you could run the highest all the time, but that might be
a fake world, because the more encrypted you get, the longer it takes,
not only to break, but to encode and decode.  Maybe.  Probably another
broken analogy (and a lie ta boot), but whatever.  :)

Hmm... if you've got access to all the data at each level (what to
allow, say, in rewrite rules, or query parameters, etc.), I don't see
why you couldn't lock it down to only what's possible, vs. what could
be.  It would take organization tho.  Borg-like, Terminator-making
organization.  :-)

Or maybe you've got a simple solution, to how one would limit URL
requests to only allowable values?  I can't see anything short of
automation, but that's why this is taking so long.  Probably
overlooking something simple.

Eh.

What's your scenario, to help me grok this here, Jochem?  Search
Engine Safe?  Ha!  That's simple!  Force a pattern-- string([A-z]),
number, string!  Easy.

Is that a solve?

Damn.  This, by now dead, horse is freaking beat.  I'm going to sign off now...

--
slowly steps away from the keyboard...