I do want to use a persisted CFC....but I want to use it on the spot, in the
CFGRID tag.  I don't want to:

1) Do exactly what you stated is generally recommended against.  I don't want
to be accessing a shared scope directly in a CFC.  I've taught others not to do
it, and I'm not going to do it either.

2) I already have a perfectly good CFC that does everything I need it to do,
but I can't use it because I can't instantiate it properly.  It's not a static
CFC.  I don't want to have to write another CFC with the sole purpose of
accessing a variable that does everything I need if I don't have to.

I know what my options are, but you're not answering my question, which is
simply this.  Is there any way I can use a variable in the bind attribute
instead of a path to a CFC?