Brook,

Please find the code below with inline comments :)
This code is working fine... just set the variables of for input & output
files according to your need and also the form field population part. This
should do it... I just tested the code too and it works fine. I have tested
this code with form created in Adobe LiveCycle 8.0

It's actually the "setFormFlattening" property which performs flattening.
You need to set it TRUE.

I hope this helps.

<cfset inputFile = "c:\path to my source form\myform.pdf">
<cfset OutputFile1 = "c:\path to my output file unflattened\out1.pdf">
<cfset OutputFile2 = "c:\path to my output file flattened\out2.pdf">

<cfscript>
        savedErrorMessage = "";
        // cfSearching: All file paths are relative to the current directory
        fullPathToInputFile = inputFile;
        fullPathToOutputFile1 = OutputFile1;
        fullPathToOutputFile2 = OutputFile2;

        try {
                // we create a reader for a certain document
                pdfReader1 = createObject("java",
"com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfReader").init(fullPathToInputFile);

                //cfSearching: fill in the form fields but do not flatten the
form
                outputStream1 = createObject("java",
"java.io.FileOutputStream").init(fullPathToOutputFile1);
                pdfStamper1 = createObject("java",
"com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfStamper").init(pdfReader1, outputStream1);

                form1 = pdfStamper1.getAcroFields();

                //Populating Form Fields
                //form1.setField("formfield1", value1);
                //form1.setField("formfield2", value2);

                //Flatening the form parameter - keeping it value false will
not flaten
the form
                pdfStamper1.setFormFlattening(false);

                //cfSearching: fill in the form fields AND flatten the form
                pdfReader2 = createObject("java",
"com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfReader").init(fullPathToInputFile);
                outputStream2 = createObject("java",
"java.io.FileOutputStream").init(fullPathToOutputFile2);
                pdfStamper2 = createObject("java",
"com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfStamper").init(pdfReader2, outputStream2);
                form2 = pdfStamper2.getAcroFields();

                //Populating form fileds for fomr2
                //form2.setField("form2field1", "myValue");
                //form2.setField("form2field2", "myValue2");

                //Flatening the form parameter - keeping it value true will
flaten the
form
                pdfStamper2.setFormFlattening(true);

                WriteOutput("Finished!");
        }

        catch (java.language.Exception de) {
                savedErrorMessage = de;
        }

        // cfSearching: close the stamper and output stream objects
        pdfStamper1.close();
        outputStream1.close();
        pdfStamper2.close();
        outputStream2.close();