> In fact i have doubts about whether
> a degree course could possibly keep up with the changes in technology.
>   At best a degree course would only be able to teach general
> principles, because the technology would have moved on by the time any
> graduates actually came into the work force with teh knowledge they
> gained at university.

Just looking at ColdFusion alone, we've had a new major version every
year for the past 4 years. Which means that if you had a 4 year college
course that included CF prepared in 2006, it would be outdated by 3
major versions by this year when the students graduated. I expect a
similar kind of phenomena with other languages that have been
traditionally (or recently) included in Comp-Sci courses like Java or
C++. Or for any of the .NET technologies that Microsoft promote.

Personally I lean more in the direction of thinking that a comp-sci
degree isn't very useful in software engineering, but that a cognitive
science degree would help an awful lot. The technologies we use are
changing rapidly -- the brains we use to interpret those technologies
are not. I got my hands on a college cog-sci textbook recently and am
about half-way through it currently. I'm finding the information about
memory and information processing fairly useful in making decisions
about human interaction with my projects.

--
s. isaac dealey :: AutLabs
Creating meaningful employment for people with Autism

http://onTap.riaforge.org/blog