> In any case, there's nothing that was in my degree back in the early
> 1970s that's relevant to today's world.      But i have been building
> web sites the internet first went commercial.  I built my first web
> site using Frontpage 1 - that taught me as much about building web
> sites as almost anything since.   In fact i have doubts about whether
> a degree course could possibly keep up with the changes in technology.
>  At best a degree course would only be able to teach general
> principles, because the technology would have moved on by the time any
> graduates actually came into the work force with teh knowledge they
> gained at university.

Computer science isn't about technology. If you got a CS degree in the
70s, almost everything you learned would still be relevant today.
Basic programming hasn't actually changed that much in the last thirty
years, believe it or not. We're still using the same algorithms, etc.
Smalltalk, the archetypal OO language, was around in the 70s. SQL has
been around even longer.

Lots of details have changed, and there are lots of new languages all
the time. But CS isn't about those details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Computer_Programming

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Visit http://training.figleaf.com/ for more inform