> I'm building a second machine which will run CF on it, and will need
> to manipulate my SQLServer2005 databases on a network server.  I'm
> going to be connecting this machine to these databases on an external
> drive as though they're local, because i'm going to be swapping back
> and forth between these machines regularly.   I dont want to keep
> attaching and detatching lots of databases  - i'd rather just connect
> the external database to this machine and then boot it up.

Honestly, I don't know if SQL Server will let you do this. I suspect
it might not, as Windows can detect removable drives.

> So if i have SQLServer2005 (the full version) driving the databases
> when I'm working at one location,  and SQLServer2005 Express driving
> the databases when I'm working at my other location,   will that cause
> problems in the databases?   Are the two versions fully compatible at
> least as far as database file structure etc is concerned?

Yes, you can use database files created by one with the other,
although there may be some limitations if you use certain features in
SQL Server 2005 when you create the database files (such as the
ability to create databases larger than 4GB - that's not supported by
Express).

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Visit http://training.figleaf.com/ for more inform