Just a thought: if you're carting an external disk back and forth, why not
put a VM with SQL Express and your databases on that disk?  Personally I run
a little VM farm with SQL and CF all off the one eSATA disk.  All is kosher
as far as SQL is concerned, and if you need to get data onto another server
you've still got linked servers and/or SSRS, or even just a file copy of the
results of your processing.

BTW, I would not be at all suprised if SQL had some kind of fit when your
database files arrive back from wherever with a big hole in their LSN's.
It's precisely for this reason that detaching/reattaching is necessary.

Jaime