Dave,

I didn't catch that it was an external drive - I think if it's an "external
USB drive" you might be right  - I was thinking more along the lines of a
hot swap sata drive on a sled that plugs into a empty bay.   I know with
2000 you could only do direct attached, but now days there are so many
storage choices I believe they have changed that limitation.

Mike,

A quick google search brought up this link:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/78560/locked-sql-server-data-files

I think it relates directly to what you want to do - I would read it
carefully. It seems like you might end up with ACL signiture or other file
status or permission issues when spooling up these files.

-Mark

Mark A. Kruger, CFG, MCSE
(402) 408-3733 ext 105
www.cfwebtools.com