Thanks Dave,  and thanks Mark.   That gives me what i want.   I'll
make sure i have good backups of the databases,  then try it and see
what happens.

In this case, I dont think i'm going to get databases bigger than 4GB.
 It's only for development and I can think of only two cases in the
last 5 years where I've had databases approaching that size for
development.    Production databases yes,  but this isnt for
production.

And I can confirm that SQLServer2005 will allow you to connect
databases on removable drives.   I was trying it last week, when I was
thinking about how i was going to do this.    I had the same thought
as you, Dave, so I put a few databases on a removable drive including
my little intranet,  connected them, and there had been no database
errors on those CF Datasources in a day of use.   A bit of a surprise
really, since in a production environment it wouldn't be a good idea.
I would have thought Microsoft would have prevented it happening in
the first place.

I suppose conceptually it's no different to connecting a server to a
database file on a network drive.    I might even end up using a USB
Key instead of a removable drive!

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month