I would not include renaming PDF files as an option, since the #3
option in Dave's list is a similar idea that is better. ColdFusion can
handle PDF files as if they were CFM files without changing the PDF
file extension.

Keep in mind that if CF starts serving a large downloadable file, it
will tie up one of the limited CF processing threads, which I believe
is the performance issue Dave is suggesting with #2 and #3. When all
the CF processing threads are busy, incoming requests start to queue
up, even if CF isn't doing much of anything.

-Mike Chabot