> Happy trails!

You, too!

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Watts [mailto:dwa...@figleaf.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:02 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: ColdFusion Builder Released!

> You're right that I do say it's wrong *for me*.  But, I think the pricing
> is *wrong* completely.  Now, some may say it's worth it, and I might say
> that too, if it had more features that I actually use. But, I think the
pricing
> is too high, period.

Others disagree, presumably, since they're buying the product. So I
think that it's impossible for you to make that claim - if your claim
were correct, no one would buy it. At best, your claim is, if not
impossible, extremely premature.

> Wouldn't you say, if a toothbrush manufacturer announced a new product
(not really
> that much new, except a few new features) and priced the toothbrush at
$50, that the
> manufacturer had over-priced the toothbrush?  (Yes, that's an extreme
example, but I'm
> just trying to determine if you agree that any product at any price can be
over-priced)

If I made my living with a toothbrush, I'd buy the best damn
toothbrush on the market. Presumably, the cost of my fancy new
toothbrush would be recouped by the improvements in my work. If that
weren't the case, I wouldn't buy the toothbrush. And at that point,
I'd agree that the toothbrush is overpriced, at least for myself.
Others might find the toothbrush more valuable in their work, since it
comes bundled with Plaque Builder 4, so they might have a different
assessment of its overall value.

But in any case, that's not a very helpful analogy, because people
don't make a living with their toothbrushes.

> If we have to have a completely informed opinion on pricing, then none of
us
> can comment, because we don't know how much Adobe spent on development of
> the product or what their sales approach to this is.

That's been pretty much the gist of every comment I've made. I'm not
asserting that the price is what it should be. You're asserting that
it isn't. One of these is not like the other.

> How high would CFB have to be priced for you to have the perspective
> (without any numbers to back up your opinion) that it was priced too high?
 $500,
> $1000?

I'd pay $500 for it, especially since it's bundled with Flash Builder.
I think $1000 might be too high for me, simply because I don't do
enough CF programming on a daily basis that I need the best tool
available. But again, that's not the same as saying it's too expensive
for everyone else, or that it's simply priced too high, period. People
pay crazy money for Visual Studio, after all, although I do think
that's arguably a better value proposition for .NET developers than
CFB is for CF developers.

And with that, I'm now taking my own advice and muting this thread in
Gmail. Happy trails!

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or ons