On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Eric Roberts
<ow...@threeravensconsulting.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't say it's an objection to paying a few hundred dollars, it's an
> inability to come up with the funds to do so for the little guy.

I'm sorry, but if the "little guy" can't afford $200 or even $400 for
some software that makes his job possible / easier, then he doesn't
deserve to be in business.

What on earth kind of living can someone be making from selling
software services where a few hundred bucks can't be covered by their
rate on a project? That's crazy talk.

As Matt R and other have said: "thats peanuts".

I feel the same when I hear people complain about how they "can't
afford" to attend conferences. It's bullshit if you care about your
career and actually make a living out of it! All the time I've been
freelance (three occasions, up to five years a piece), I've set aside
money for training / conferences as part of my career plan so that I
stay current and marketable and I learn shit that makes me a better,
more productive developer. Stuff like this is just the cost of doing
business in this industry. Professionals invest in themselves.

If someone is really living hand-to-mouth as a software developer and
can't afford a few hundred dollars on software, then they need to go
get a new career. Software pays well and if you can't make money at
it...
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/