No...it a lack of available funds.  Small businesses are having a hard time
getting the capital they need for projects.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Robertson [mailto:websitema...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:21 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: CF Shopping carts

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Eric Roberts wrote:
> I wouldn't say it's an objection to paying a few hundred dollars, it's an
> inability to come up with the funds to do so for the little guy.

Not to derail this into a lets-beat-on-Eric thread, but as others
mentioned, thats peanuts.  Something is wrong with your business model
if you are in this business and a fee like that knocks you out of the
game.  Not bagging on you... I'm just sayin'... and I'm saying it as
someone who started coding in an office that was a spare bedroom in my
apartment... sitting on a plastic lawn chair.  I did mom-and-pop
retail work and there are some jobs you *have* to say no to, unless
you've got nothing else and your time isn't worth anything (i.e. the
time you'd save not rolling your own solution... you could be on to
and getting paid for your next job).

I'm not sure CF lends itself to the mom-and-pop operation, where the
expectation is that you can get an ecommerce site for $500, three bags
of Doritos and a case of Jolt.  There's plenty of college-student
developers out there who work for those rates and if you play in those
waters you'll never get past that.

A fair question to ask:  Is the small business ecommerce market such
today that it pays NOT to be involved with it?  i.e. all the
free/cheap/just-add-water solutions out there... Can a developer who
wants to earn a good rate for their time get there at all anymore with
ecommerce?  Does that perhaps explain the dearth of solutions?

--
-...@robertson--
Janitor, The Robertson Team