> I converting all my URLs from the old variable scheme (i.e., news.cfm?id=7)
> to the stupid SEO spoonfeed urls (i.e.,
> news.cfm/this-is-my-article-for-stupid-lazy-google-programmers-who-cant-unde
> rstand-variables).
>
> I hate this. I now believe Google has supplanted Microsoft as the most evil
> entity on the planet.

Well, that's kind of dumb. Google didn't come out to your office and
make you rewrite your URLs, did they?

You can certainly use embedded URL parameters, and Google will still
index your pages. But Google, like regular people, can make more sense
out of URLs that themselves make more sense. This has nothing to do
with laziness, and everything to do with how URLs are meant to be
used:

http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

In general, when it comes to SEO, common sense is your best guide. And
there's a good argument to be made that implementation details should
be minimized or removed entirely from URLs.

> > Why not use url rewrite instead?
>
> If it's this:
> http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/460/using-the-url-rewrite-module/ that looks
> good but it also requires server IIS intervention. That does not solve the
> problem on all my sites and all the servers they are running on. Building
> them into my own CMS permanently solves the problem and keeps my tools
> portable for various server environments. In the long run it's I'm thinking
> it's probably best to make my CMS tools just work that way so I'm not
> thwarted by an uncooperative host.

Then you should be looking at this:
http://www.tuckey.org/urlrewrite/

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.