Amen to jQuery!

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Bentley [mailto:cascadefreehee...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 1:13 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Bind issues - observation

Larry,

It sounds like your problem is mainly the architecture that you're dealing
with. It is really important to understand modern Ajax (not the old Async
JavaSript & XML) and how to finely tune Ajax JavaScript libraries to do what
you want. More specifically how to handle Ajax debugging and browsers that
will not output debugging information. For instance, there was no way to
know that you were using an Application.cfm with html and OnRequestEnd.cfm
and that your markup was junking up your Ajax response without seeing the
body of your respose. Your test environment was not setup well enough to
work through debugging Ajax (until someone pointed out Firebug). In my
testing environment, I use Firebug in Firefox to debug EVERY SINGLE REQUEST.
If you cannot debug your requests/responses and view JS errors, there is no
way you can build an application that uses Ajax. Even if Firebug didn't
exist, there are ways around it. For instance, before firebug many
developers would just log each request and response and view logfiles to see
their issues.

I also use a TON of jQuery because it simplifies the complexity of JSON and
DOM and allows rapid Ajax development and DOM manipulation. ColdFusion has
some nice built in libraries and I have used all of them at one point or
another but for the sake of being able to extend JavaScript as a real
programming language, I now just write  scripts in jQuery and have them
interact with ColdFusion components, returning JSON or strings or load a
dynamic CFML page that takes care of all of the server side rendering that
the browser might bark at (imagine using JSON & DOM manipulation to output
10,000 records in one go).

The example I gave you in your earlier post gives you an example of both
client and server rendering of a state change. Remember that you do not need
to use Ajax for state change and that sometimes it is better to simply use
DOM manipulation using JavaScript to change the state of your views and
render it all on the server.