Maybe I am off base with this one, but the research I did a while back
stated that the biggest bottleneck to vm performance was disk io conflicts.

I.e. if your vm lives on the same hd as your os and your programs they are
all competing to read and write at the same time.

Having a separate hd, internal or external solves that problem. (i have an
external 7200 rpm firewire drive).

I'll have to look up the articles that discussed this.

Mark.

Sent from my mobile device