Some thoughts to add to the mix.

I consistently buy Dell laptops, for a variety of reasons, but primarily for
their 3 year, on site support. As a contractor, even a single day downtime
is no good.

No idea which part of the world you are in, but here in australia, I've
called tech support at 3pm and had a tech at my house 9am the next morning
to fix my computer.

If you can find a brand of laptops that provide multi-year on site support,
it's invaluable.

On another note - if you want the best performance out of your vms, put them
on an external hd, the faster the better, with the fastest connection as
well.

Anyway, just my experience, thought I would share.

Sent from my mobile device