> Maybe I am off base with this one, but the research I did a while back
> stated that the biggest bottleneck to vm performance was disk io conflicts.

That is definitely a big issue in a production environment, where
you're more likely to be running multiple VMs. But in a developer's
typical environment, that is going to be massively outweighed by the
terribly slow access via USB 2 or Firewire.

> I.e. if your vm lives on the same hd as your os and your programs they are
> all competing to read and write at the same time.
>
> Having a separate hd, internal or external solves that problem. (i have an
> external 7200 rpm firewire drive).

A separate internal HDD definitely makes a big difference, but I can
say from experience that the transfer speed of Firewire just isn't
enough. I got an external eSATA drive, and that's sufficient, but I
can't tell any significant difference (for me) from the internal SSD
in my primary laptop (other than not having to store these giant files
on my limited internal space).

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.