>>thats because cf5 used ODBC datasources as it was written in C++
CF6+ is a java app and thus uses JDBC

Of course, I know that.
When I updated from CF5 to CF9, I was able to redefine all my datasources in
CF9 with no problem.
but now I have a new I want to add, the ODBC connection is created, but the CF9
Administrator
replies "Connection verification failed for data source: SMTPLogs
java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][SequeLink Server]The
specified data source is not defined.
The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC
Driver][SequeLink Server]The specified data source is not defined."

It looks like the Administrator is able to define a datasource when the ODBC
connection was already there, but not for a new datasource.

I was able to define the datasource with no problem on my development desktop.
Now on my production server it wont work. The only difference is that on my
desktop I have the Developper version, on my server it is the standard version.