>>Do you have CF9 and CF5 installed on the same box?

Sure, otherwise I could not say that defining a datasource in CF 9
autimatically defines it in CF 5.
Since CF 6, I've always used both version on my development desktop with no
problem, they are completely independant products.

I didn't upgrade to MX on my production server until recently because there was
too many problems with MX, in particular with CFHTTP. But I always developped
my application under CF 6, 7, 8, 9 and made sure it was still compatible with
CF 5.

As I can see there are still problems with the JDBC drivers.
CFMX adds many interesting new features, but the JAVA platform makes everything
far more complicated and buggy :-(

So apparently. CF 9 does define the ODBC connection correctly, CF 5 recognizes
it, but the JDBC driver does not see it.