I think you are still not understanding.
CF5 is not JAVA, it doesn't use JDBC, it uses ODBC.
CF9 doesn't create the DSN in CF5,it creates an ODBC DSN in windows, and
this is what CF5 is picking up.
If you create an ODBC DSN in the windows control panel, then it will also
show up in the CF5 admin.
I know 100% that this is true as this is how we allow customers to create
DSN's for CF through our hosting control panel.

Russ