On 1/29/2011 1:26 PM, denstar wrote:

> Not /exactly/ infinitesimal, but it ain't no flood of newbs, neither.

that sample size is more or less useless to base the rest of your arguments on.

> I don't know how much that has to do with the entrance of the open
> source engines as viable alternatives, but I feel it's factor.  It was
> for me, anecdotal-y.

technically i'd think that would actually be a "flight of fancy" seeing it's
based on a sample of one & taken as the sole factor in your shop staying w/cf.

> I attribute some of that to CFers realizing the *awesome* power of
> open source, but again, I think the engine alternatives have gone a
> long way towards helping as well.

pretty much all my i18n stuff has been OS long before either BD or railo, has
nothing whatsoever to do w/either. so in your anecdote based way of thinking,
you are proven wrong ;-)

> CFML devs are no longer beholden to some commercial entity's
> well-being, which adds a *huge* bit of stability to the language that
> was just plain *not there* prior.

seriously?

> I don't know about "top".  Unless the "target" is the existing
> "static" community, which would seem a rather backwards plan, IMHO.

adobe, like any product producer, has to maintain it's base customers. railo's
not producing much (if any) new cf customers but is instead cannibalizing the
existing market. it doesn't follow that adobe will be blowing sweet sweet
kisses
at railo.

> It doesn't need to be contentious.  Friendly competition is where it's at, yo.

but you know that "friendly competition" is not true, even if you say don't
care
what railo's ultimate plan is. it doesn't seem "friendly" to me or will it seem
very friendly to their existing customers if they do indeed succeed with their
plan.