> An Allaire consultant told us that our DNS was screwed up and
> that it was our problem. Seems like you must be using our
> internal DNS server, as well ;-) So we found out if you use
> the actual IP address instead of the domain name, it usually
> worked. In addition, we found the changing the slashes (/) to
> (\) also helped. Until you can get Allaire to admit it is not
> your DNS server, you are basically screwed.

You can certainly determine for yourself whether your DNS server has
problems - and it's not that uncommon to have small DNS problems here and
there. There are plenty of DNS resources available:

Acme Byte & Wire:
http://www.acmebw.com/
This site, run by Liu and Larson, the authors of the O'Reilly DNS book, has
lots of Q & A resources.

DNS Expert:
http://www.dnsexpert.com/
This retail software package does DNS diagnostics pretty well, for those who
don't want to learn dig and nslookup.

In any case, if you're able to resolve the target server's name from a
command shell on the CF server, you shouldn't have any problems with CFHTTP
and DNS.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496