Choosing ASP.NET could be for many valid reasons, because it comes with
windows and is not a separate install, because it is FREE, because you
already know ASP etc.
But because it has a longer lifespan isnt really a good reason. As long as
you have a copy of CF or Railo to run your code on, then your app has just
as long a life span on cf as it does on ASP.
If you use shared hosting then you could equally end up in the same position
in the future, unable to find a host that supports older versions of
ASP.NETor old versions of ColdFusion, in which case you would still
need to update
your code regardless.

Using JQUERY is fairly simple in any language, the learning curve will
generally be similar, however implementing it will be faster using the
framework (ASP, PHP or CF) that you already know.

Russ