From: Craig Rosenblum [mailto:crosenb...@gmail.com]
Sent: 02 March 2011 14:50
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Database Lookup - Possible with CF?

Basically the easiest way to do ajax, is the following...

1. download jquery libraries, or in your source code refer to different
hosting of the jquery libraries. jquery fyi, is javascript libraries,
that work cross-browser and make it easier to do things like ajax, and
millions of other things.

2. Read this and any other article,
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/javascript-ajax/5-ways-to-make-ajax-ca
lls-with-jquery/ to get a handle on how to use jquery.

3. create a cfc, that can send/receive data you want.

Yes this is a lot to learn, if you've never played with ajax or jquery
before. So I will show you some example code.

You can either download a copy of the jquery libraries, or refer to a
cdn hosted copy on google or jquery.com, or a few other sites hosting
jquery libraries for public use.

Then you need to create a cfc, which is basically like a coldfusion
normal template, except it has functions, instead of normal page logic.

A cfc will be like this structure

cfcomponent

cffunction name="somename" access="remote" output="true"
cfargument name=company_id type=integer required=true

do some stuff

/cffunction

/cfcomponent

That's a very basic cfc, must be saved as a cfc extension.

The 1st key part is making the cfc file in a web-accessible url folder.

Then you have to create ajax that will send the parameters it needs to
do whatever functioning you need to do.

I hope this get's you a good starting point....