Hey Paul,

In theory and in some practices, I think this might work, however
they are a number of things that have stood in my way when trying to
do the same thing:

1) Form layout almost always begs to be different for each site you
do.  I personally enjoy a well laid out form.  To do layout
programatically would definitely preclude you from making your forms
look nice and well organized (ie: every form would almost have to be
row after row after row of form elements, you would never be able to
have multiple form elements on the same row because they'll all be
different sizes)

2) Form handling is almost always different.  Good forms validate the
data sent to them, checking to make sure a date is a date, an email
is an email, a phone number is a phone number and so on... you can
write custom tags that assist in this, but again, you're going to run
into specialized cases where you'll have write custom code (ie:
custom wants to validate an their proprietary order number is an
order number...)

Obviously it's up to you to do, and like I said first, in theory,
it's possible.  If what you want to create is a simple form creation
custom tag that doesn't do much validation and is laid out in a
similar fashion each time, then by all means go for it... but I can
speak from experience in saying that even big CF shops still write
forms by hand, without a custom tag.

Aaron Johnson, MCSE, MCP+I
Allaire Certified ColdFusion Developer
MINDSEYE, Inc.