Hey all,

Ok, so I'm all set on the question of SPF etc. Here's another one.

I am taking on a client who has an existing CF application. It's one of those
30%-off coupon things. They have a dedicated server right now that holds
CF/SQL/SmarterMail all on one box. They send out a little over 100,000 emails a
month.

My existing setup is two cloud-based servers at Enterhost:  CF/DNS on one, and
SQL/SmarterMail/DNS on the other. I do not want to add the extra email burden
to my system. I already send out about 50,000 emails a month from about 170
websites, not including the POP personal / business emails of 75 of those
clients.

The current concept is for me to get another server specifically for their
email delivery, and to move their app to my CF machine and their database to my
SQL machine.  With the extra email-only server I get SmarterMail, though I'm
not sure that's the best tool for delivering large amounts of email from CF.

I saw that Russ Michaels mentioned sendgrid.net in a post a couple days ago
about CFMAIL dropping some emails. This client knows that their needs are going
to grow beyond the 300,000 ($200/mo) limit in a short amount of time, and so
that will turn into an expensive solution eventually.

So, if I stick with the new cloud server just for this one client's email
delivery... am I setting this up right?

1. Their app on my CF server with hard-coded SERVER (see 3. below) in all
CFMAIL tags
2. Their DB on my SQL server
3. Their own SM server (see 1. above)

Is there a better email delivery option from CF, and if so how would you
integrate the two onto the on box so the customer can also get their own email
at their domain? I'm curious for my own needs as well.

Is there a better way to set up the boxes?

I know this sounds like fundamental stuff, but I'd love any opinions people may
want to volunteer (including "what are you crazy?!").

Thanks,

MM

Michael Muller -- (413) 320-5336
http://MontagueWebWorks.com