And I don't believe this is a gmail issue either and seems to lead to a
problem with / at Hostek itself.

Here is what I do know.

Obviously if the mail is using the ColdFusion default details, aka the
relay Hostek have setup, the mail is sent. If I use the gmail server on
hostek it will eventually fail. When it fails on Hostek, I can still use
the same credentials on another server and the mail is still sent.

It is almost like as suggested, the mail is being seen as spam from hostek
somehow.

Hostek have now made changes, something along the lines of the JRE caching
the DNS indefinitely, which has now been changed to ever 4 hours. So I will
now have to wait and see if this changes anything.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
WebSite: http://www.andyscott.id.au/
Google+:  http://plus.google.com/113032480415921517411