For us, what we've encountered include:

        1.  It's more expensive to host CF and there are few host (somewhat
true)
        2.  CF is an old and outdated (not true)
        3.  CF has little future left and is a dying technology (possibly
true... even if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy)
        4.  There are few CF Programmers available to maintain a site and there
are a lot of PHP programmers around (true, setting quality aside, which few
clients understand)
        5.  There is a lot of free code from open source you can grab to save
money (somewhat true... sure more available PHP than CF code, but there is also
that quality issue)
        6.  Internally we (the client) are not equipped to run and support CF;
but we have some knowledge of PHP or .NET and can support it better (generally
comes from the client's IT; it is probably an accurate statement)

One additional issue I've been concerned with... few educational institutions
teach CF or even mention it in their IT programs.

These are the arguments we most frequently encounter.  We can argue each item
among ourselves, but arguing with a client is not all that profitable.

I've been suggesting on this list for years that Adobe address this and refresh
CF... maybe even rebrand and re-release it with a shiny new name and new
back-up marketing materials, but alas... nothing.

And one other issue I have with Adobe, they make PDF and Photoshop, so in my
opinion CF should be the flat out best tool available to manipulate PDFs and
images, but again, there is an Adobe disconnect.

Robert Harrison
Director of Interactive Services

Austin & Williams
Advertising I Branding I Digital I Direct
125 Kennedy Drive,  Suite 100   I  Hauppauge, NY 11788
T 631.231.6600 X 119   F 631.434.7022
http://www.austin-williams.com

Blog:      http://www.austin-williams.com/blog
Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/austin_wi