From: Benjamin S. Rogers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 6:04 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CF_Activedit alternatives??

> That may be true but considering that there are few number of people that
> will actually be doing the editing and they only have to download the
> plug-in once, its not that bad.  When you edit a second time it's blazing
> fast.  The benefits far outweigh the time to download.  It just requires
> instilling some confidence and security to the client on your part.
Usually
> what I do is sit down at the client's computer and show them what happens
> while explaining this is only done once.  After it's loaded I let the
client
> sit down and let them start playing with it and their 'wonderment' and
> excitement quickly replace any fears of the initial download.  -Sold-
Give
> it a try with them and see if that helps.

Some developers work in environments and with companies that are far too
large and distributed to sit down and coddle all of the clients/employees.

For me, the biggest issue with eWebEdit is the pricing model or lack there
of. We inquired with them several times about purchasing many licenses but
their fees were fairly exorbitant and, though they informed us they were
undergoing a pricing change, we never received that information.

In the mean time, several cheaper (free) alternatives have shown up.
eWebEdit still has an advantage as far as the Spectra integration goes, but
then the new Spectra has fixed the problems and functionality of it's own
WYSIWYG HTML editor.

What does eWebEdit offer that the ActiveEdit doesn't? Of course, we've
actually decided to go with ezEdit because all we really cared about
(besides the HTML Editor) was the custom tag and source code availability.

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net
voice: (508) 240-0051
fax: (508) 240-0057