From: Benjamin S. Rogers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 3:04 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CF_Activedit alternatives??

> That may be true but considering that there are few
number of people that
> will actually be doing the editing and they only
have to download the
> plug-in once, its not that bad.  When you edit a
second time it's blazing
> fast.  The benefits far outweigh the time to
download.  It just requires
> instilling some confidence and security to the
client on your part.
Usually
> what I do is sit down at the client's computer and
show them what happens
> while explaining this is only done once.  After it's
loaded I let the
client
> sit down and let them start playing with it and
their 'wonderment' and
> excitement quickly replace any fears of the initial
download.  -Sold-
Give
> it a try with them and see if that helps.

Some developers work in environments and with
companies that are far too
large and distributed to sit down and coddle all of
the clients/employees.

For me, the biggest issue with eWebEdit is the pricing
model or lack there
of. We inquired with them several times about
purchasing many licenses but
their fees were fairly exorbitant and, though they
informed us they were
undergoing a pricing change, we never received that
information.

In the mean time, several cheaper (free) alternatives
have shown up.
eWebEdit still has an advantage as far as the Spectra
integration goes, but
then the new Spectra has fixed the problems and
functionality of it's own
WYSIWYG HTML editor.

What does eWebEdit offer that the ActiveEdit doesn't?
Of course, we've
actually decided to go with ezEdit because all we
really cared about
(besides the HTML Editor) was the custom tag and
source code availability.

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net
voice: (508) 240-0051