> > You have to remember, MM wants to make money, not necessarily
> > provide a better development environment for us. This can be
> > achieved by bringing CF down to the point a general HTML
> > developer can create a viable application.
>
> Two points:
>
> 1. You can take out "MM" from the above sentence, and replace it with any
> publicly-held company. That's the job of companies. Not to "provide a
better
> development environment", not to make the world a better place, but to
make
> money. However they can make that money the easiest is the best path, and
> it's their responsibility to their stockholders to follow that path.
> Everything else is just a bonus.

More than a few companies have priced themselves out their own market  If
they lose CF, considering that they picked up Allaire for a song, I suppose
they'll survive.

> 2. CF, in my opinion, is at the point at which a "general HTML developer"
> can create a viable application, with just a little bit of knowledge.
That's
> been one of the greatest strengths of CF since its creation. It doesn't
> require significant programming experience to get started.

That "general HTML developer" is not one likely to be working on $30k sites
to be hosted on their own servers.  While CF has always appealed to this
developer, Macromedia now wants to pull the rug out from under him.  I don't
get it.

Jim