On 4/28/01, Paul Smith penned:
>Perhaps I didn't read things quite correctly, but doesn't this development
>work in favor of those small developers who put a box somewhere and go into
>the business hosting the apps they develop?

I am basically such a developer. I may have 2 clients with access to
my box who even know what ColdFusion is, other than what I tell them.
So I'm fine with Pro rather than Enterprise. So you'd have to explain
to me how spending $6,000 for functionality I don't require when the
functionality I do require is available for $1,100 will work in my
favor.

>And doesn't this development also mean the financial barriers have been
>raised for a customer to transfer their CF app to a non-single-developer
>hosting provider?

The problem for me is not my existing clients. Everything I've built
to date is built to run on 4.0/4.5. I'll keep them on a box with 4.5.
But I won't be able to update that 4.5 to 5.x and take advantage of
the new benefits for future sites. And when I fill up my current box
and need a new box, then what if 4.5 isn't available? I'm not going
to spend $6,000 because I'd have to raise hosting prices on that box
and the average 45 per month I charge to host CF sites now is right
at the upper limit of what an end user will pay that doesn't
understand the technology or that doesn't have a very profitable
website.

So, I get out of the dynamic application hosting business or I take
advantage of a free technology.
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/
954.721.3452