> As I keep saying - look what happened to Netscape Navigator
> vis a vis Internet Explorer - Netscape's entire business model
> collapsed it seems because IE was bundled and free. The same
> applies to CF v ASP and to a lesser extent PHP.

I'm not sure what lesson can be drawn from this. CF isn't free, because some
company, with employees and stockholders, makes it. ASP isn't free, in any
meaningful sense, either - just try to download a version for the platform
of your choice, if it isn't Windows. PHP is free because it doesn't come
from a company, and there are no employees and stockholders to satisfy.
There's also no need for the PHP development team to directly satisfy the
PHP user community, although they may certainly want to, given the free time
and resources. But if they don't, none of them will be out of a job, will
they.

So, are you suggesting that the Allaire arm of MM should:

1. discharge everybody providing development and tech support services for
CF,
2. not pay any of those people,
3. fund further development and support from the sales of their ubiquitous
desktop OS (oh, wait a second...)

None of those sound too likely to me.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/