Actually, it's not exactly right to say that the advanced features of iMS have to be
built...it is more correct to say that all iMS features are built.  The reason is -
iMS is a mail server platform that is very much like a web server that uses ColdFusion
in that it uses CF to perform the majority of its functions (just like a dynamic web
server wouldn't do much without coding CF templates).  In order to get developers
started on iMS development we also provide a freeware ColdFusion application known as
FusionMail.  FusionMail provides templates that make iMS into a functioning mail
server and also provide a web mail interface.  We have clients that use FusionMail
with only small modifications and with many modifications.  We also have clients that
have coded their servers from scratch.

To answer the question from Dennis Powers:

iMS is the only mail server that uses ColdFusion for processing (as a matter of fact,
the iMS technology is currently patent pending).  Because of the unique architecture,
iMS has unlimited features (if there is a feature that you need then all you need to
do is code it into the cfml of the server).  For example, we needed a list server,
auto responders and email forwarding so we coded those into FusionMail for our use.
And, these features were coded in minutes - not hours or days.  iMS includes advanced
features that enable you to lock down your server in pretty much any way that you want
(including built-in RBL support and IP address matching).  FusionMail does not allow
unauthorized relaying by default.  It does not, however, do IP address checking.
Suppose you do want to only allow
relaying for a range of IP addresses..then, all you need to do is the following:

1 - assign a range or ranges of IP addresses that are allowed to relay (in the iMS
configuration)
2 - in your cfml you allow or disallow relays based on a variable called "IPAllowed"
which is set as "YES" or "NO" by the server according to the IP addresses that you
assigned in step 1.

So, basically, creating features in iMS is usually straight forward.

We also have a version of iMS (called iMS-SE) that is a replacement for the external
mail server that is required with CFMAIL.  You can install iMS-SE and then change your
CF Administrator settings to use iMS-SE as the mail server.  This allows you to
eliminate your dependence on the mail server administrator completely and also allows
you to use the advanced features of iMS (using cfx_imsmail) including:

real-time delivery status
automatic delivery retry (no more UNDELIVR folder worries)
unlimited attachments
image embedding into html messages

Basically, there is no other CFMAIL replacement that can provide all of the features
of iMS (iMS even includes our inFusion Scheduler product which is a replacement for
CFSchedule) and all of its proven reliability (and, iMS does not even need an external
mail server like other replacement products require).

BTW - iMS 2.1 will be released shortly with more features and enahanced processing
speed and will also be a free upgrade for all iMS users (even those who bought 1.0).

Please feel free to ask me any questions that you may have and I'll be happy to answer
as best as I can.

Regards,

Howie Hamlin - inFusion Project Manager
On-Line Data Solutions, Inc.
www.CoolFusion.com
631-737-4668 x101
inFusion Mail Server (iMS) - The Intelligent Mail Server
Join the DevCon community at www.coolfusion.com/devcon